Hello and Thank You so much to all that have aided in this campaign,
I have spoken with Ki Hwang, the Property Manager of Amador Lakes about our concerns for the geese. I will begin with the good news as I’m sure everybody could use some by now. He has decided to put the Fish and Wildlife Services on hold for 2-3 weeks while we work to come up with solutions to the problems he originally contacted them over. He also told me that the families are not to be separated. To me, this is a wonderful start to us coming to an agreement.
On the bad side he has told me that there have been multiple reports of children being attacked by geese and these are the geese we need to immediately concern ourselves with as his biggest fear is the welfare of these children and the possible legal actions that may ensue. This issue needs to be solved As Soon As Possible. My hope is that we can find an alternative to the destruction of these geese, likely involving relocation to some type of sanctuary or maybe even a rehab if such a place exists. I am asking you to find these places to house these geese before we loose this opportunity. I am sure many will want to argue that these geese are not truly aggressive but remember we would like to have these animals continue their lives, even if it is not with us, and so this effort should come first. If you pursue the argument for the geese to remain I advise doing this by consulting professional advice as to the determination of safety and/or the rehabilitation of these animals or finding ways to make this environment safe for everybody. Legal advice may also be useful as I believe if we could remove the threat of lawsuit and the threat to safety there may be a chance to keep these birds. Possibly someone could even find a temporary home for them in the mean time. Lastly keep in mind there are many laws concerning these birds and I advise you learn about them before jumping to drastic action.
The other main concern which is the one we really have the postponement on is the health concerns due to the excrement from the geese. I have heard several people state that the excrement is not dangerous to human health. I would advise here finding scientific proof of these statements that will easily hold up in court as it is again lawsuits that are of major concern. More feasible solutions may include finding ways to keep the area clean (he is concerned about the grass as well as the sidewalks). I feel these and other long term actions that will be required (including the cessation of geese feeding and enforcement of this to others on the property) are going to require a lot of effort from the people and are going to require long term solutions. All ideas are welcome.
There are a couple other things I need to address. I think that if we are to work for peace to these animals we must do so through peace. We will not convince people to be peaceful through threats of violence which I am told are being received. I talked to Ki today peacefully and we were able to work together and even offer each other solutions rather than threatening or worse. As a result, we are getting somewhere. This problem is a long way from over but hopefully we can use the network we have created to find permanent solutions that everybody can live with. I said before that my first concern is that the geese are not rounded up and euthanized nor are the families split up, second is that we get to keep them here. I think if we can show our continued dedication to long term solutions we will get many more people on our side.
Secondly, Ki has asked that as I have made so many aware of this problem, I continue to make them aware of the progress that is being made. He has asked that wherever notices were posted they be updated with new notices containing more up to date information. I feel this request is reasonable and intend to comply with it but I would greatly appreciate any help. I think we can use this to responsibly raise awareness without causing panic. Right now we need to focus of realistic solutions while still raising awareness in those we believe will share our concern. We have a large and constantly growing group of people who care about this problem. We have reached our goal of postponement and shown our ability to be heard. If it were to come to it we could easily bring this campaign back into full action and so it is no difficulty to me to ask you to help remove any postings which may cause panic over driving the need for solution. Anyone willing to help with this process please email me as this will be our initial show of good faith for the postponement we have received.
I’m sure there are many things I am forgetting to mention right now and I will try to fill in as I remember but I feel I need to get this out sooner than later and I see many messages pilling up on my phone and email which I have not yet had a chance to answer.
Thank you all again and please, any help with the reposting will be extremely helpful,